Last Saturday our Healthcare-Associated Infections Program and Antimicrobial Stewardship Subcommittee members presented at the 2016 Arizona Pharmacy Association Annual Convention. Their presentation “A National Action Plan to Combat Antibiotic Resistance: Are You Prepared?” was attended by over 200 Arizona pharmacists.
- Global initiatives to improve the use of antibiotics, including programs in the United States
- Major elements of the White House’s plan to combat antibiotic resistance
- Antimicrobial stewardship metrics
- National action plans by the CDC, TJC, and other groups which will mandate antimicrobial stewardship programs in the U.S. as a performance measure
- Currently available resources in the state of Arizona to assist in preparing a hospital structure to support stewardship
- Achieving hospital leadership support, medical staff skill sets, and documentation for CMS audit
The session ended with guidance for Arizona pharmacist to stay informed, get involved, and garner leadership support. Healthcare providers across the state are working to improve patient care by implementing antibiotic stewardship we are here to help with resources and information.